Last November I got invited for a new Dutch TV program called You Can’t Ask That. I was invited to talk about living with a facial difference and answered questions people might have. It aired on Tuesday March 5th and has been repeated a few more times in the following weeks. Unfortunately it’s only available in Dutch without subtitles.
You Can’t Ask That
You Can’t Ask That asks groups of misunderstood or judged people the awkward, inappropriate and uncomfortable questions people always wanted to know the answers to, but always been too afraid to ask. You Can’t Ask That is an Australian series first released on ABC in 2016 and made its first appearance on Dutch TV last month.
In the first series they’ve made 7 different episodes about 7 different topics: facial differences, alcohol, incurably illnesses, sexual abuse, sex workers, Christians and nudism. Of course I was invited to talk about the first topic. I’ve received a lot of positive feedback from friends, family and followers which was really nice :)
Behind the scenes
A few fun facts about the studio recordings:
- It was recorded one day before Christmas
- Recordings took 2.5 to 3 hours (!) per person
- They’ve asked at least 20 questions and only half of them were used on tv
- I had a cold that week, which you can hear
- As I’m very pale, they had to use lots and lots of foundation / powder. Especially to make me look better next to Hans, who was pretty tanned.
Watch the episode online
You can watch the full episode on npostart.nl. Unfortunately it’s only available in Dutch.